Mario Kokkoris


Home Country Greece

"Do.I.Why?"

Do I have to kill to eat this fish? 
When I was little, I remember my mother trying to convince me to eat fish.  In her many attempts, it was very typical of her to tell me that fish is good for the eyesight, which surprisingly enough it always worked on me. 

I also remember myself going fishing with my father.  Putting it in other words ‘killing’ a fish.  I mostly enjoyed when we were sailing out in the open sea during summer time, under the light of the full moon, going for calamari.

Today, I wouldn’t even consider killing a fish.  But, I would certainly have fish for dinner.  I suppose that this still makes me a killer since I support the fish industry, which today is linked with overfishing issues. 
It is not only through eating fish that I contribute towards the environment’s depletion.  There are many more things that I do in life to satisfy my needs, which in one way or another create problems to the environment.  For instance, I should be washing off any recyclables before chunking them into the recycling bin.  Well, I do waste water!  At the end of the day, all these issues make me wonder which is the best way around to become more eco-friendly.